Development Officer (DO): Scottish Handball Association (SHA)
The Scottish Handball Association was delighted to be named the "Scottish Sports Governing Body of the Year" in December 2022. We are now more than half way through this year and, as we keep developing, an outstanding opportunity to join our wee team has arisen.
The Scottish Handball Association leads the development of Handball in Scotland and has made significant progress in the ongoing development of our outstanding sport. Working with SportScotland, the European Handball Federation (EHF), the International Handball Federation (IHF) and a range of other Partners, this is an opportunity for the right person to join an established, growing, community-minded SGB at a brilliant time in our own story.
Position: Development Officer
Responsible to: Development Manager
Contract Type: Full Time Permanent
Salary: £22,000 - £26,000
The Development Officer (DO) will join the Development Team at the Scottish Handball Association (SHA). The successful candidate will work together with the rest of the Development Team, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), other members of the Executive team and Board members to increase and support the development of Handball in Scotland. This is often done in schools through the delivery of our Local authority strategy in partnership with Active Schools and local Colleges. We deliver significant amounts of practical “train the trainer” sessions for those at the start of their Handball journey, so this role works in both a development and a direct delivery capacity.
It’s not necessary to have Handball knowledge or experience, but if not, an interest and willingness to learn quickly will be important.
The DO will report to the Development Manager and indirectly to the CEO of the SHA. They will work as a team with colleagues in the Development team, the Operations Manager, the Board, and key volunteers contributing to the development and implementation of organisational strategies, policies and practices.
- Help to deliver the Scottish Handball’s programme of work with various partners – Schools, Local Authorities, Further Education and Active Schools. This will also include a significant involvement with our active work in growing of women and girls’ handball, working closely with new and existing clubs and helping represent Handball at various times and in different settings (e.g. at international meetings, or in Government settings).
As part of the Development Team, you will be a significant part of:
- The delivery of a national Primary Schools Final
- Delivery of Secondary School National competitions
- Delivery of local authority/regional School competitions and/or Festivals
- Work with Active Schools to increase primary school participation in Handball
- Develop & Maintain the relationships with Secondary Schools
- Support the development of new and existing clubs and support the development of partnerships between the clubs and local communities
- Scottish Student Sport (SSS): Development and support of the SSS Handball Programme including Final 4 and BUCS Qualification
Education and Training
- Support the education and development opportunities for Sports Leaders and College students to deliver in the school sector
- Help build a national workforce for the delivery of Handball
- Responsible for collating and reporting on the number of schools and schoolchildren playing Handball
- Collate and report on the conversion rate of children playing in school to clubs
- Contributing to the Development Team work in collating various key metrics
The person in this role will also create and maintain any project / programme budgets in collaboration with colleagues as required.
They will work with sportscotland staff, external providers, competition, and event’s organisers to build knowledge and create opportunities for the SHA to build the capability of volunteers and the reach of the sport. The above job description will be subject to annual review and reflects the needs of the Scottish Handball Strategy and business plan and the sportscotland Corporate Plan.
37.5 hours per week. The nature of the post means that hours will not regularly fall within a conventional working day. Frequent evening and weekend work will be necessary to fulfil the purpose of the role.
Remuneration & Term:
£22000 - £26000 (annually depending on experience) – We have this scheduled as a full time post, however, we are open to receiving applications from those who wish to work in other ways (e.g. part-time / job share).
Reasonable travel, accommodation and administrative expenses incurred in carrying out this position are reimbursed in line with the Scottish Handball’s expense policy.
Qualifications and Experience
- Significant operational experience in a small business environment or governing body or Local Authority Sports environment (Desirable)
- Experience of project delivery from design/build to completion (Desirable)
- Good knowledge and experience of using Microsoft Office365 applications.(Essential)
- Driving licence and access to vehicle (Essential)
- PVG Certificate (will do at appointment) (Mandatory)
- Handball knowledge or experience (Desirable)
- Safeguarding & Children’s Wellbeing qualification (Desirable)
- First Aid certificate (Desirable)
- A practical approach to work, planning and problem solving
- Team player and able to use own initiative as required
- Able to set and work to clear objectives and challenging deadlines
- Ability to build virtual teams with partners
- Self-motivated, demonstrates a “can-do”, positive attitude and values learning and personal development
- Understands and promotes the value of Equality and Diversity
- Responsible, holds high ethical and professional standards
To apply, please send across a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining your suitability to the email address below.
If you have any queries relating to this, please also contact: Office@scottishhandball.com
Scottish Handball Association
1 Redheughs Rigg
Closing Date: Monday 11th September
Notification of progress: During w/c 18th September